These sticky, sweet, fudge-like energy bites are ubiquitous nowadays. Quick to make, portable and packed with plant-based protein, they are perfect for a post-gym snack, a 3pm pick-me-up or for stashing in a lunchbox. It's important to use organic raw cacao – not cocoa powder or drinking chocolate mix – and although pre-made protein powder is on the pricer side, shelling a bag of hemp seeds will take hours and make you forget why you ever wanted to make these in the first place. I like to add maca powder – also expensive – because I love the rich, malty taste but they are just as delicious without it.
200g Medjool Dates, pitted
200g Almonds, blanched
30g Raw Cacao Powder
30g Almond Butter
10g Hemp Protein Powder
10g Maca Powder (optional)
1. In a large bowl, cover the pitted dates with water and leave to soak for an hour.
2. Place the almonds, raw cacao, hemp protein powder and maca powder into a food processor and pulse until the almonds are small but not ground.
3. Drain the dates and places them in the processor with the almond mixture.
4. Add the almond butter and process until the mixture starts to stick together, adding a little water if necessary.
5. Scoop the mixture into a clean bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 mins.
6. Divide the mixture into 10 evenly-sized portions and roll into balls.
7. Eat as-is or roll in desiccated coconut, sesame seeds, chia seeds or poppy seeds.
8. Store in an airtight container for up to three days.
Makes 10 | 30 mins