Zucchini Noodle Salad with Moroccan Chickpeas
This recipe is from Chris Anca's forthcoming book Nourishing Noodles. The spiralized zucchini keeps the salad light, the protein-packed chickpeas make it filling, while the tangy dressing gives it a satisfying depth of flavour. I love all the different textures, too; the delicate herbs, succulent chickpeas, crisp squash and crunchy red onion. Delicious with a cool glass of white wine on a warm summer evening.
1/2 medium zucchini, ribbon spirals
(spiralize on the flat blade)
60ml fresh lemon juice
1 pinch of sea salt flakes
1 tsp cumin seeds,
roughly ground with a pestle and mortar
60ml extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp hulled tahini
1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
1/3 tsp garlic powder
1/3 tsp onion powder
1/3 tsp sea salt flakes
2 tbsp red onion, chopped
1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp coconut nectar or maple syrup
440g of organic chickpeas, drained
1/2 medium carrot, grated
1 small handful of mint leaves, chopped
3 tbsp currants
2 lemon wedges
1 small handful of parsley leaves
2 tbsp black and/or white sesame seeds, lightly toasted.
1. Place all noodle ingredients in a medium bowl and gently massage for 30 seconds. Set the bowl aside.
2. To make the Moroccan chickpeas, place the red onion in a medium bowl with the apple cider vinegar and the coconut nectar and mix well. Set aside for 2 minutes.
3. Add the chickpeas, carrot, mint and currants to the onion and combine.
4. Place all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until creamy.
5. Add the dressing to the chickpea mixture and toss until thoroughly combined.
6. Divide and arrange zucchini noodles on serving plates, spoon the chickpeas on top, add toppings and serve.
Serves 2 | 30 mins
Recipe kindly contributed by Chris Anca, from her book Nourishing Noodles.